Thursday, March 14, 2013

My journey to US citizenship - 2013

Feb 27 - USCIS received my application
March 11 - Got fingerprinting notice
March 29 - Biometrics in Chatsworth
June 4 - Interview ( I got all the answers to the questions right! The immigration officer was really nice. She convinced me not to change my name.)
June 26 - Oath taking!

All in all, the whole process took me 4 months. That is not bad at all. I was not really that excited to take my oath. I felt it was no big deal. Three main things prompted me to apply for citizenship ASAP: the fees might increase soon, the ability to petition for my parents, and the ability to travel anywhere without a need for a visa. There was no I-will-be-an-American excitement. However, the ceremony brought out a lot of emotions within me, especially when the Immigration Judge addressed us as his fellow Americans. My heart raced so fast. I realized, I did work hard to where I am today. I wanted this moment to come. USA has actually been good to me, despite the hardships I experienced in the first years. I wanted to cry when President Obama welcomed us through an AVP and reminded us once again that in this country, anything is possible. That was a very nice assurance. I truly believe it in my heart. I am a dreamer, and I am determined to fulfill my dreams. (For that, my desire of becoming a lawyer heightened.)

 I am proud to be a citizen of the United States of America, the country that gave me hope, support, and assurance no matter what my status in life is! Now all three of us are Americans! I am delighted! I can only thank God for this!

Bright and early! We braved the early morning traffic in LA on the way to LA Convention Center.

Moi with the naturalization certificate and American flag in my hands

President Obama's welcome message to me and 2500 others





No comments: