Sunday, December 07, 2014

Why Garden Grove?

So I made my decision that Alex, Cinzia, and I attend Garden Grove SDA Church, a church 50 miles from our place. After 6 years of attending Burbank SDA Church, I thought some change would be good. My needs and my family's needs have changed. Here are my reasons, in random order.

1. It's a dynamic church. There are so many activities. Every Sabbath is special. They have mission trips every year, there is always something new..There are just so many things to look forward to!

2. Pastor is a good administrator. Pastor Dan Smith is such a nice guy. He does not treat us just a number even if the church is the largest in Orange County. He is a people person, good preacher, and loved by all,

3. There is a huge Filipino group, but it's not mainly a Filipino church (which I prefer). The Filipino group has its own activities too - retreats, Sabbath potlucks, afternoon services, and karaoke on Saturday nights. I miss being an Adventist in the Philippines, and it is a blessing to be surrounded by Filipinos. However, I do not want to be overwhelmed by their presence, which I am not, because it's not mainly a Filipino group.

4. Alex's relatives are there. I like hanging out with Tia Melitza's famiy. They are so caring and concerned. She is so sweet as well. If we are not in the Filipino potluck, they are there to accommodate us. Her sister's family is there too. And, oh, Tia Melitza is Cinzia's pediatrician.

5. The sermons are heaven-ward. They are uplifting, and they make me hopeful. The first time I heard Pastor Dan preach, I knew those are the kind of sermons I needed. I grew up in the church, I need "meat."

6. Music is great!

7. Children's programs are excellent! Cradle room is designed as Garden of Eden because that's what the theme of their lesson.

8. There is a good number of Hispanics, which is good for Alex and Cinzia as well.

No comments: