Thursday, September 28, 2006

me bad teacher

i felt so bad after leaving my fil1 class yesterday. i punished one student for not being prepared in delivering his talumpati.

i arrived in the classroom at 11:40.only half of my students were there. i understood. they are bio students and they always come from their college which is one-kilometer away. after checking the attendance, I waited fo the others to arrive. at 11:45, i finally decided to start their speech performance, one of their major requirements in class. i started calling names randomly.

after i heard two speeches, i called out Jeff for his turn. He said, "Ma'am , mamaya na,mamaya na, ma'am. Hindi pa po handa."

"Sinasabi mo yan sa akin, Jeff?" i asked him. He just gave me a shy smile.

But deep inside, I was pissed off. I gave them one week to prepare for their speeches, and here's a brat telling me he's not prepared?gosh...what a student!

i continued calling on other names. most of the time, i caught Jeffrey at the corner of my eye memorizing lines.

after everybody had delivered their speeches, i stood up and started telling them my comments. Jeffrey stopped me by telling,"Ma'am, ako po?"

"Jeffrey, tama na. sobra na."

and i saw the most dreaded expression a student can show me in class. i cannot explain it. it's not offensive in my part. it's an expression of being embarrassed. i hate to see embarrassed faces in front of me, much more if i cause the embarrassment. i hate seeing those because i know they are uncomfortable with the feeling. i hate those becasue im not used to embarrasing students in class.

i feel sorry for jeff. but i would feel "sorrier" for my self if i tolerated his actuation yesterday.

am i a bad teacher?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

you will now be unforgettable kay jeff.

thisisGod'sdaughter said...

true.

leicia said...

guess that happens gyud rics...

johnnypanic said...

gabaan ra siya rica. maayo imo gihimo oi, but yeah, i know the feeling nga ma guilty after mangasaba ug student.

-John

reefer said...

he deserved it, rica. don't fret. just go on doing your job the best way you can. :-)

Kodsy said...

he will never forget you specially now that his name in on your blog via world wide web...