Thursday, July 18, 2013

My mom's journey to US permanent residency

I got my US citizenship on June 26, 2013, and I did it for three reasons:
1. The fees will increase if I wait too long.
2. I can travel anywhere with a US passport!!!
3. I want to petition for my family.

I started to petition for my mom last week, and I am going to post her timeline here:

July 11- Mailed application I-130 (along with copies of my birth certificate, naturalization certificate, and $420 check)
July 18 - Got an email from USCIS to confirm receipt and my check was cashed
November 22 - Got a letter stating her case was transferred to Nebraska office to expedite it.
December 18 - Request for evidence. They needed a proof that my mom (with her married name) is one and the same with Adoracion Abellanosa Yap, her maiden name.
February 24 - Petition approved!! Case is moved to NVC
April 14 - Got a letter in the mail telling me to pay $88 AOS fee and fill up DS-261
May 3rd - Got a letter from NVC with a visa processing bill of $230
May 14 - paid $88 AOS
June 12 - paid $230 IVF
July 10 - filled up DS-260 online for my mom (At this time, I am on vacation in the Philippines.)
October 2014 - Got an email and mail saying I need to make corrections to my I-864 and send the following: mom's orig. marriage and birth certificates, passport bio page, and orig. NBI clearance, my original birth and marriage certificates.
April 27, 2015 - Mailed all documents to NVC including 2014 tax return. A new year has passed so I assumed they needed the most recent tax return.
April 30 - NVC received my mail ( according to its tracking online), They also emailed me saying to give them 60 days for review.
June 7 - NVC emailed and mailed me telling me to submit my w2s, tax returns,  and make changes with my I-864. Apparently, Alex needs to be my co-sponsor because we have joint tax return, so I have to turn in his w2s as well.
August 12 - I mailed in all necessary documents.  
August 25 -I received an email from NVC stating my mom's schedule for interview on September 21st. (Less than a month from now!)
September 14 - Mom flew to Manila with sister.  
September 15, 16 - Mom had her medical exam at St. LUKES. 
September 21 - interview at US Embassy! Passed with only 2 questions. 
November 17 - Mama's flying with Philippine Airlines! 


Disclaimer: My mom wanted me to slow down the process. She said, she is not ready. While I was in the Philippines for a month-long vacation with Cinzia, we realized that it would take significant time for my mom to get a passport because she still needed to secure a government-issued ID. She is working on the ID so she can apply for a passport.





No comments: